Breaking News

Coronavirus live updates: Here’s what to know in South Florida on April 20

We’re keeping track of the latest news regarding the coronavirus in South Florida and around the state. Check back for updates throughout the day.

ANOTHER ROYAL CARIBBEAN CRUISE SHIP CREW MEMBER PASSES AWAY

4:10 p.m.: Another Royal Caribbean crew member from the Oasis of the Seas cruise ship died Monday, according to a recording from the ship’s captain obtained by the Miami Herald.

“Our dear fellow team member, waiter Iputu Sugiartha, passed away this morning,” the ship’s captain said over the loudspeaker Monday morning. “You should all know that he was well cared for at the hospital and by our medical team and that his family was contacted and offered support.”

WHEN WILL THE KEYS REOPEN FOR TOURISTS?

3:45 p.m.: Monroe County leaders said Monday that the Florida Keys will not reopen to tourists until neighboring counties to the north, including Miami-Dade, significantly ease their restrictions put in place to stop the spread of COVID-19.
The concern is that if Monroe is the first county to open businesses, beaches, parks and marinas — and lift the two checkpoints heading into the county — the island chain would be overwhelmed with visitors.

FLORIDA RELEASES UNEMPLOYMENT DATA

2:30 p.m.: Just 40,193 Floridians who have filed for unemployment since March 15 have received their benefits, according to a new website the state launched Monday.
That’s less than 3 percent of the more than 1.5 million claims filed since mid-March when the state saw a record surge in people thrown out of work because of the coronavirus pandemic.

DEREK JETER FORGOES MARLINS CEO SALARY AMID CORONAVIRUS SHUTDOWN

1:50 p.m.: With the coronavirus pandemic keeping Major League Baseball in a holding pattern, Miami Marlins CEO Derek Jeter told his baseball operations staff on Monday they will receive full pay through at least May 31 while he forgoes his salary for the foreseeable future.
Members of the Marlins’ executive team are also facing paycuts. The organization is still evaluating if other financial measures will need to be taken on the business side with no revenue streams coming in as the pandemic continues.

MIAMI NIGHT LIFE ALIVE AND WELL THIS PAST WEEKEND

1:05 p.m.: Despite being locked down due to the coronavirus pandemic, Miami nightlife was alive and well over the weekend. EDM superstars David Guetta and Cedric Gervais both held separate outdoor concerts downtown to help the community.

FHSAA CANCELS SPRING SPORTS SEASON

12:55 p.m.: The Florida High School Athletic Association on Monday announced that the spring sports season, including the state series for those sports, has officially been canceled as the coronavirus pandemic continues.
The cancellations of championships is a first for the FHSAA, which had held state playoffs continually each year since 1922.

Sports impacted by this include baseball, softball, track and field, tennis, lacrosse, water polo, boys’ volleyball, flag football, and boys’ weightlifting. Spring football was also set to begin on April 27.

SOUTH FLORIDA POLICE CHIEFS RECOVERING AFTER POSITIVE TESTS FOR CORONAVIRUS

12:30 p.m.: When Miami’s police chief announced Friday that he had tested positive for COVID-19, it marked at least the second chief in Miami-Dade County to admit publicly to have contracted the virus.
Pinecrest Police Chief Samuel Ceballos Jr., tested positive for the quickly-spreading virus on April 6 after acquiring a minor cough. A second test for the virus last week turned out negative. Pinecrest Village Manager Yocelyn Galiano Gomez said Monday that Ceballos would need one more negative test before returning to work.
On Friday, Miami Police Chief Jorge Colina said he tested positive for the deadly contagion. Over the weekend, the chief was said to be at home resting comfortably with “mild symptoms.”

FLORIDA’S UPDATED CASE NUMBERS

11:40 a.m.: Florida’s Department of Health on Monday morning confirmed 526 additional cases of COVID-19, bringing the state total of known cases to 26,660 as the statewide death toll nears 800. The state announced 15 new deaths, bringing the toll up to 789.
Miami-Dade County (9,460 confirmed COVID-19 cases) and Broward County (4,038 confirmed COVID-19 cases) combine to make up 50.6 percent of Florida’s confirmed case total.

More Information

No comments